In 1952, across the street from the Alamo in San Antonio, TX, George W. Church opened the first Fried Chicken Restaurant To-Go. George laid the groundwork for what would one day become a world-famous brand with his crispy goodness, handcrafted taste, can-do attitude, Churchie the loveable mascot, and a jalapeño pepper on the side.
Customers would line up outside the window, where they could get two pieces of fried chicken and a roll for 49 cents. The very first establishment didn't even have a dining room. An unusual perk of the restaurant was that visitors could witness their food being prepared right in front of their eyes.
In its first decade, the brand had grown from a little shack to eight sites around San Antonio, thanks to its popularity. By the end of the 60’s, we had expanded our flavor to seven states in the US, with over 100 restaurants opened.